Halloween Events 2017

With Ireland being the birth place of Halloween I think it's so important to keep the celebration alive and well throughout the country, and with hundreds of events taking place over the bank holiday weekend thankfully it's an easy task to keep the history alive these days.
Whether you like being scared out of your britches or enjoy a more factual based evening I have ten events for you to really get your fangs stuck into to make the most of this Samhain.

1. House Of Horrors - Waterford 
I'm ashamed to say that even though I live so close to Waterford this will be my first year attending House Of Horrors. I've heard nothing but good reviews of this event so I'm really looking forward to seeing what it's all about, what I have heard is 'if you're afraid of clowns this isn't for you' ....well, wish me luck there so!! 

When: This event runs from October 26th to the 31st
Costs: €10 to enter
Age: 16 + but they do run a child friendly one too

2. The Scare Factory - Limerick 
With two of the cities most amazing locations, King Johns Castle and the City Hall you can already imagine how eeery this event is. Once you step inside those doors there's no turning back and you're in for what's described as 'the most pulse pounding moments of your life' Oh nice one...

When: 19th - 31st October
Costs: €15 Adult or €13 Student (With ID)
Age: 13+

3. Spirits Of Meath - Navan
''The entire Boyne Valley gets ghoulishly into the dark side of life''
The country where Halloween began more than 3,000 year ago. I came across this festival last year and although I have never been but it's on my bucket list. I think everything sounds amazing and I'm blown away by the amount of events taking place this year. 
 From murder mysteries, a horror farm, pumpkin picking, drive in movies and a ghost hunt in Tayto Park Meath is the place for all Halloween lovers and it's my aim to be there next year. 

When: 7th October - 5th November

4. Paranormal Research Ireland - 
I've had the honour of meeting this team and going on ghost hunts with them and there's no one I respect more than the founder Tina Barcoe, I truthfully couldn't say enough good things about this group but believe me when I say their Halloween line up is SAVAGE!!!
 Running events all month long their next public ghost busting event is on Sat 21st October in Malahide Castle and in Wicklow Gaol on the 28th. You'll be given the opportunity to join the team and have your own investigation something I strongly recommend. 

 If the paranormal lock downs aren't for you then not to worry as on the 26th Chris Rush (PRI member and horror author) will be doing a FREE horror night where he'll be reading the most disturbing chapters of his new book. 
 Then on October 30th bring the family to a movie screening of Hocus Pocus in Wicklow Gaol at 4:30 then get rid of the kids and if you're braver than me head to the gaol for 8pm to watch the directors cut of The Exorcist...Now that, I could not do...

 Last year I also did an interview with Tina so if you want to check that out you can do so here...

When: 21st, 26th, 28th and 30th October

5. Youghalloween Spooktacular - Youghal
Last year was my first time at this festival and I loved every second, it was brilliant!!
If you haven't been then I really recommend you visit at least once during the weekend. 
It kicks off on October 27th with the opening ritual and fireworks on Mall beach. You get to watch as a gathering of witches perform a celtic ritual to welcome An Bhean Uisce home from the underworld then join in a lantern parade led by the knights and witches around Youghal. 

 On the Saturday Youghal comes to life between 1pm-7pm there's an amazing line up throughout the day but the best event is at 6pm when the Banshee parade begins. Are you brave enough to stand on the main street as the banshee passes through the town and collects the spirits of the dead.....

Finally on the Sunday there's another day of festivities until 6.15 when you're invited to join beautiful closing ceremony and say goodbye to Bhean Uisce as she returns to the watery underworld for another year. 

When: 27th-29th October
Age: Family Friendly

6. ScareFest, Shankill castle - Kilkenny 
It goes without saying there is something for everyone at Shankill castle, from wand making for children, a candle lid kids tour to the downright terrifying night candle lit ghost tour. It's said this is one of the most scariest ghost tours in Ireland and is an over 15's event. Every year this event sells out so to avoid disappointment get your tickets early, they'll set you back  €32 which is a lot but hopefully it will be worth it. 

When: 27th October - 5th November
Cost: €32
Age: 15+

7. The Spooky Express - Kilmeaden, Waterford (KIDS!!!)
Of course I have to include one for the kids and sticking locally the Spooky Express on the Waterford & Suir Valley is one of the cutest Halloween ideas ever, I wish there was an adult version!!
 Take a thirty minute trip on the Suir Valley train through the haunted area in the dark, where anything can happen.
Tickets cost €13 for an adult and €10 for under 16s the trips take place on Saturday October 28th now does anyone have a child I can borrow for the day?

When: October 28th
Cost : €13 for an adult and €10 for a child

8. Pumpkin Picking At Ballycross Apple Farm - Wexford
It's on my bucket list to go pumpkin picking so now that I've heard about Ballcross pumpkin farm I'm making a plan to go there next weekend and I'm so excited. Open every Saturday and Sunday from 12-6 and daily from the 28th to Nov 5th you get the chance to pick your very own pumpkin to take home and carve just in time for Halloween, prices vary on the size of the pumpkin but I cannot wait.

9. Loftus Hall - Wexford
Saving the best two for last, heading down towards the Hook Peninsula?  Are you brave enough to visit Ireland's most haunted house? A place of pure evil and devilish visits? 
Well, I'm not going to go too much into the history of Loftus Hall because it's something I've done numerous times before (like right here) but for me Halloween wouldn't be complete without a trip to my favourite place Loftus Hall.
 Each year the team run a Halloween tour from the 27th to the 31st of October from 7pm-each night. It's not one for the faint hearted hence why it's an over 18s event but believe me when I say it's amazing and I'd really recommend it. Tickets are €18 and selling out quick so if you want to book you can do so here..

When: 27th- 31st October
Costs: €18
Age: 18 +
Websitehttp://loftushall.ie/

10. Féile Samhain At Hook Lighthouse - Wexford 
Up until this morning I had never heard of Féile Samhain but after looking into it I think it's my favourite Halloween event so far, I love it!!
Situated right beside Loftus Hall why not kill two birds with the one stone and check out Hook Head Lighthouse between the 28th and 31st of October. 
Your first option,and my favourite option costs €30 on Saturday 28th at 6.30pm and that's for a guided sunset tour. After you've been guided through the historic lighthouse, with plenty of tales of horror from the hook of course, you can tuck into prosecco and canapes as the sun sets across the sea. Pre booking is essential so call 051 397 055 to save your place. 

On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (October 29th-31st) from 6-9pm join in an 'evening of fire' based on the old traditions of Samhain, age old tales will be shared by 'druids' around a circle of fire.
A family bbq, children entertainment and Halloween stories no booking is required and these events are FREE!! 
Pumpkin carving with resident artist Rose will also be on offer for €5 . 

Finally for those feeling brave why not take a lantern led evening tour at either 6/7/8pm. Tours cost €9 and booking is advised.

When:28th - 31st October
Cost: Varies 
Age: Child Friendly

So there you have it ten events going on around Ireland this Halloween,
Enjoy 🎃

No comments:

Post a Comment